Scraping when "Add new selector" button is nonfunctional

Hello,
I work for an educational research project that makes online learning courses, and we need to scrape our courses for some of the content on each page because we didn't structure our databases to easily extract it from the XML.
When I click "Add new selector" nothing happens, but it works on other pages. Is this because our pages are behind an authentication wall? Here is my plan:

Unit #: Title
Module #: Title
Learning Objective(s)
{next page}

That's all. Those are the only pieces of info I want to scrape and correlate, but I cannot create any selectors. Is this possible? Here is my starting URL and a screencap of the page:
https://oli.cmu.edu/jcourse/webui/syllabus/module.do?context=6880e91f0a0001dc368e09fd7b57c3e3

Thanks for your help in using this great tool!
Hal

Sitemap:
{id:"sitemap code"}

Please post your error messages after you click on the "Add new selector".

To access error messages follow these steps:

1. Open chrome://extensions/ or go to manage extensions
  2. Enable “developer mode” at the top right
  3. Open Web Scrapers “background page”
  4. A new popup window should appear.
  5. Go to “Console” tab. You should see Web Scraper log messages and errors there.

Thanks for the help! Here is the output from the console:

content script error Objectmethod: "getSitemap"params: Array(1)0: "a p"length: 1__proto__: Array(0)concat: ƒ concat()constructor: ƒ Array()copyWithin: ƒ copyWithin()entries: ƒ entries()every: ƒ every()fill: ƒ fill()filter: ƒ filter()find: ƒ find()findIndex: ƒ findIndex()forEach: ƒ forEach()includes: ƒ includes()indexOf: ƒ indexOf()join: ƒ join()keys: ƒ keys()lastIndexOf: ƒ lastIndexOf()length: 0map: ƒ map()pop: ƒ pop()push: ƒ push()reduce: ƒ reduce()reduceRight: ƒ reduceRight()reverse: ƒ reverse()shift: ƒ shift()slice: ƒ slice()some: ƒ some()sort: ƒ sort()splice: ƒ splice()toLocaleString: ƒ toLocaleString()toString: ƒ toString()unshift: ƒ unshift()Symbol(Symbol.iterator): ƒ values()Symbol(Symbol.unscopables): {copyWithin: true, entries: true, fill: true, find: true, findIndex: true, …}proto: Object__proto__: constructor: ƒ Object()arguments: (...)assign: ƒ assign()caller: (...)create: ƒ create()defineProperties: ƒ defineProperties()defineProperty: ƒ defineProperty()entries: ƒ entries()freeze: ƒ freeze()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "freeze"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]getOwnPropertyDescriptor: ƒ getOwnPropertyDescriptor()getOwnPropertyDescriptors: ƒ getOwnPropertyDescriptors()getOwnPropertyNames: ƒ getOwnPropertyNames()getOwnPropertySymbols: ƒ getOwnPropertySymbols()getPrototypeOf: ƒ getPrototypeOf()is: ƒ is()isExtensible: ƒ isExtensible()isFrozen: ƒ isFrozen()isSealed: ƒ isSealed()keys: ƒ keys()length: 1name: "Object"preventExtensions: ƒ preventExtensions()prototype: {constructor: ƒ, defineGetter: ƒ, defineSetter: ƒ, hasOwnProperty: ƒ, lookupGetter: ƒ, …}seal: ƒ seal()setPrototypeOf: ƒ setPrototypeOf()values: ƒ values()proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]hasOwnProperty: ƒ hasOwnProperty()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "hasOwnProperty"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]isPrototypeOf: ƒ isPrototypeOf()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "isPrototypeOf"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]propertyIsEnumerable: ƒ propertyIsEnumerable()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "propertyIsEnumerable"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]toLocaleString: ƒ toLocaleString()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 0name: "toLocaleString"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]toString: ƒ toString()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 0name: "toString"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]valueOf: ƒ valueOf()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 0name: "valueOf"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]defineGetter: ƒ defineGetter()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 2name: "defineGetter"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]defineSetter: ƒ defineSetter()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 2name: "defineSetter"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]lookupGetter: ƒ lookupGetter()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "lookupGetter"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]lookupSetter: ƒ lookupSetter()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "lookupSetter"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]get proto: ƒ proto()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 0name: "get proto"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0]set proto: ƒ proto()arguments: (...)caller: (...)length: 1name: "set proto"proto: ƒ ()[[Scopes]]: Scopes[0] {"status":404,"name":"not_found","message":"missing","reason":"missing"}

content script error
Object
{"status":404,"name":"not_found","message":"missing","reason":"missing"}

The web scraper tab in developer tools runs in a completely separate process and it shouldn't be affected by the page that you have opened.

Can you restart the browser and retry creating the selector?

If that doesn't help the problem might be elsewhere. What OS, Chrome version are you using?

Hello Martins and KristapsWS,

I think I solved the problem -- the name was only three characters and one of them was the plus symbol: a+p (for anatomy and physiology). This may be the source of the "name: not found" 404 error.
I created a new sitemap with a longer name and everything works properly.

Now I can't find a way to use pagination, so I will open a new thread. Thanks!

Hal